The benefits of epsom salts – Trackstaa
When most runners hear Baths for recovery, they think of Ice baths. Ice baths have shown to aid recovery and reduce inflammation. However, we will talk about the positives and negatives of Ice baths in another article. Because this one is all about Epsom Salts.
What are Epsom Salts?
Epsom salt is also known as magnesium sulfate. It’s a chemical compound made up of magnesium, sulfur, and oxygen.
How do Epsom Salts Work?
When in water, magnesium and sulfate ions are dissolved. This results in these ions being absorbed by the skin into the body.
You can also get creams which have this same effect.
The benefits of Epsom salts
Many of the benefits of Epsom salts are useful for athletic performance and recovery. Which hopefully by now (since we keep banging on about it), you know recovery is one of the keys to success.
- The benefits of Epsom salts 1 – Providing Magnesium; Many people do not consume enough Magnesium, with many using supplements in order to have an optimal amount (Do not use supplements to replace a balanced diet).
Magnesium; Supports electrolyte balance, contributes to normal energy-yielding metabolism, aids normal protein synthesis and contributes to a reduction of tiredness and fatigue.
- The benefits of Epsom salts 2 – Aids with sleep and relaxation; Magnesium helps with production of neurotransmitters that induce sleep and reduce stress. Magnesium can help your body with melatonin production, which is the hormone that promotes sleep.
Sleep and nutrition are the two key factors in recovery. So any way you can improve one of them is a boost in your recovery!
- The benefits of Epsom salts 3 – Many people believe epsom salts can help relieve muscle soreness and fatigue. One reason for this could be the fact, some properties within epsom salts help use lactic acid and glucose. Both of which can be used as energy during the recovery process.
Also, having a warm both in itself can help relaxation and improve blood flow. Heat widens your blood vessels which means more blood can be transported around the body. Increased blood flow = Increased recovery
- Florence Diamond League PreviewSifan Hassan, Joshua Cheptegei and Dina Asher-Smith lead a cast of international superstars competing in this week’s Florence Diamond League. The field on show in the men’s 5000m is arguably the strongest field in history with SEVEN men all having previously run under 13 minutes. Joshua Cheptegei, the world record holder (12:35.36), is the …
- Sports Recovery Cream – PremaxRecovery is one of the most important aspects of sports performance. At the forefront of correct recovery is sleep, hydration and nutrition. Don’t let anyone tell you that any recovery method is more important than those. But if you are looking to optimise recovery, then the 1% improvements are needed. This is where recovery creams, …
- Florence Diamond League 5000m – The best everAll we need is Paul Chelimo and Jacob Kiplimo and we have the Olympic final. I really can’t believe the standard of this 5000m. It’s by far the greatest non championship race in history and it may actually be the greatest field ever, regardless of the championship races or not. Before we break down the …
- Doha Diamond League 2021 – PreviewTrackstaa looks ahead to the second stop on the Diamond League tour, as the world’s finest athletes assemble in Doha, Qatar for the first time since the 2019 World Championships. After a hugely successful event in Gateshead, despite the awful conditions, the world’s finest athletes assemble for the second Diamond League meet of the season …
- PREMAX: Performance Skincare for AthletesTrackstaa reviews the premium performance products from Australian company, PREMAX Performance Skincare. It’s the largest organ in the body but its role in our performance is often overlooked. How often is our attention drawn to our muscles, our heart-rate or bones when it comes to analysing our running performance – everyday? One thing we never …