The benefits of epsom salts – Trackstaa
When most runners hear Baths for recovery, they think of Ice baths. Ice baths have shown to aid recovery and reduce inflammation. However, we will talk about the positives and negatives of Ice baths in another article. Because this one is all about Epsom Salts.
What are Epsom Salts?
Epsom salt is also known as magnesium sulfate. It’s a chemical compound made up of magnesium, sulfur, and oxygen.
How do Epsom Salts Work?
When in water, magnesium and sulfate ions are dissolved. This results in these ions being absorbed by the skin into the body.
You can also get creams which have this same effect.
The benefits of Epsom salts
Many of the benefits of Epsom salts are useful for athletic performance and recovery. Which hopefully by now (since we keep banging on about it), you know recovery is one of the keys to success.
- The benefits of Epsom salts 1 – Providing Magnesium; Many people do not consume enough Magnesium, with many using supplements in order to have an optimal amount (Do not use supplements to replace a balanced diet).
Magnesium; Supports electrolyte balance, contributes to normal energy-yielding metabolism, aids normal protein synthesis and contributes to a reduction of tiredness and fatigue.
- The benefits of Epsom salts 2 – Aids with sleep and relaxation; Magnesium helps with production of neurotransmitters that induce sleep and reduce stress. Magnesium can help your body with melatonin production, which is the hormone that promotes sleep.
Sleep and nutrition are the two key factors in recovery. So any way you can improve one of them is a boost in your recovery!
- The benefits of Epsom salts 3 – Many people believe epsom salts can help relieve muscle soreness and fatigue. One reason for this could be the fact, some properties within epsom salts help use lactic acid and glucose. Both of which can be used as energy during the recovery process.
Also, having a warm both in itself can help relaxation and improve blood flow. Heat widens your blood vessels which means more blood can be transported around the body. Increased blood flow = Increased recovery
- CAS SUSPENDS SHELBY HOULIHAN FOR FOUR YEARSCourt of Arbitration for Sport upholds the ruling of the AIU and confirms her 4 year ban from the sport effective from January 2021. Shelby Houlihan, the US record holder in both the 1500m and the 5000m, has lost her appeal at the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS). The Athletics Integrity Unit had originally …
- COROS PACE 2: ELIUD KIPCHOGE EDITION“For COROS it’s all about outdoors, mountains, and a passionate active lifestyle. We combine high-grade hardware with innovative technology to provide endurance athletes with the gear they rely on…when you use a COROS product, you know you are getting a tool that has been designed, tested and perfected for the athlete, by athlete.” Wearable technology …
- DIAMOND LEAGUE PREVIEW AND LINK TO WATCH: LAUSANNE ATHLETISSIMA MEETTrackstaa previews the next stop on the Diamond League circuit as Olympic stars arrive at the first European post-Olympics stop in Lausanne, Switzerland. In total the athletes who will line up in Lausanne at the Athletissima meet will arrive with an astonishing total haul of 19 gold medals from the Olympic Games. With a crowd …
- Pre Classic Review: Elaine Thompson-Herah and Jakob Ingebrigsten shine in EugeneTrackstaa reviews an incredible weekend of action at the Pre Classic in Eugene, Oregon. The field that assembled for the Pre Classic this weekend, in nearly all events, was strong enough to grace any of the finals of the Olympic Games in recent memory. The women’s 100m final, for example, contained 3 of the 6 …
- The Prefontaine classic diamond leagueWith countless Olympic medalists the Prefontaine diamond league looks set to break records. It could potentially be the greatest non championship track and field event in history. The new Hayward field The preclassic diamond league will be the first none domestic competition at the new Hayward field. If it follows the success of the NCAA’s …